Give Me That Old Time Preaching, like Vance Havner


After a restless night, pondering the current state of the nation and the world, I felt a deep need for some kind of comfort.
.
I searched and searched the internet this morning for some old fashioned preaching: the kind you used to hear in America and the kind that used to be on the radio. Like the song says: "Give me that old time religion."

How I miss it. I yearn to hear someone with authority, a man with a booming voice, who tells it like it is, with no equivocation, no pandering, and no appeals for money.
.
A man with a message who is not out to win a popularity contest. A good man, a family man, who wants us to clean up our act, start acting like ladies and gentlemen, and help each other instead of hurting each other.

Incidentally, a lot of dads used to be that way. Some still are.

It is comforting to me to hear a strong authority tell it like it is.
.
If you would like to hear someone who speaks with power and clarity, may I recommend the late Dr. Adrian Rogers at Love Worth Finding Ministries.

After searching the internet for awhile, I came upon a really great site, Sermonnet, which published many old fashioned preachers. As it happens, I have a book on my shelf by a man named Vance Havner.
.
I checked and sure enough, SermonIndex has some of his old sermons!
If you have never heard or read Vance Havner, you are in for a special treat. You can find some of his sermons on SermonIndex.net.
.
If you love old fashioned preaching like I do, then you will love to hear Vance Havner.
Thank you SermonIndex. If you can support SermonIndex in some way, please do so. They have done a wonderful thing, putting these sermons on line for people to listen to.
.
Another gentleman, who unfortunately has also passed away, you might listen to is Brother Ray Pringle. I used to listen to his 15 minute Word of Prophesy sermons every week night at 11:45 in the Bay Area when I was a young guy. His family has preserved all his programs to listen to.
.
Thank you to the family of Dr. Adrian Rogers and Brother Ray Pringle.

Popular Posts